So, I've been a very bag writer and haven't updated this blog in what feels like forever. I guess pregnancy does make you lose your mind sometimes. So far I have really been feeling great.
We found out that we were having a boy in early January and have been so excited talking about our "son" and playing with names. There is a top contender, but I am nervous to announce it in a BIG way until he makes his arrival, so I have only told close family and friends.
The first trimester I was so nervous about morning sickness - will I get it and when? And it never showed up. I just sailed along feeling mostly exhausted, but never feeling sickly and I am so GRATEFUL for that. I have a wonderful OBGYN (she actually delivered my little sister 16 years ago) and she had been taking wonderful care of me. Since I have had high blood pressure episodes in the past they have classified me as high risk (just to be safe.) Basically it just means that I have to go to the dr. office every two weeks instead of every four and that is fine with me because I get to hear the baby's little heartbeat at every appointment.
The second trimester (I am still currently in the 2nd) has been great too. The exhaustion went away and I almost felt like I wasn't even pregnant for awhile. I kept waiting and waiting every day for 2 things 1.) to feel the baby kick and for 2.) my belly to "pop" so I would actually look pregnant and not just chubby. Well, at 23 weeks I have reached both of those goals. I guess it was around the 18th week that I felt the first real kick and now I feel them daily. It's kinda like the "flutters" that everyone talks about, but it really is an amazing feeling that you can't really describe. Maybe around week 20-21 is when my belly "popped" overnight and didn't just look like a beer belly. People are commenting about it at work now and they see me more than anyone else so I guess it's really there.
And at around 27-28 weeks I will roll over to the third trimester where I have heard that the exhaustion comes back with a vengence and I can look forward to being way more uncomfortable and swollen ankles - hooray!
I can't wait to meet this little man in June (or May if he decides to follow the family tradition.) All the women on my mother's side of the family have delivered their FIRST child early - from my grandmother to all 6 of her daughters with children. I just want him to say in there as long as he can to grow big and strong and I am doing my best to make sure he has a really comfortable uterus to live in for now.